With all of the buzz in the advertising industry about the optimum way to promote your business – sometimes simple is best. When building your brand finding what works best for your business is anyone’s main goal! In a world besieged by TV, radio, internet, mobile marketing – word of mouth can still be the strongest form of advertising out there. Having someone walk around in a shirt, jacket or a hat or carrying a tote, duffel or messenger bag that has your company’s logo on it is still a powerful form of advertising.
This media was thriving at least 50 years before the TV was invented and even longer before computers and the internet became household words. According to a report called Promotional Products: Impact, Exposure and Influence, a survey of business travelers at DFW Airport, published by Promotional Products Association International:
- 71% of the group reported receiving a promotional product in the last 12 months
- 33.7% of this group had the item on them at the time
- 76.1% of the group could recall the advertiser’s name on the product they had received
In comparison those same people were asked if they had read a magazine or newspaper in the past week – 80% of them said yes, but only 53.5% of them could remember the name of a single advertiser!
This report also looked at the “impression of the advertiser” and found some very strong statistics that support the use of promotional items to promote your business.
- 52% of the group did business with the advertiser after receiving the promotional item
- Of those that had not done business almost 50% said they were more likely to do business with the company that gave them the promotional item
- 51% also stated that their “impression” of the advertiser was more favorable since receiving the item.
Also looked at in this study was the length of time that the person kept the item – over 55% kept the item for more than a year! When asked why they held on to them for so long they responded:
- The product was USEFUL
- The product was ATTRACTIVE
- They refer to the item for INFORMATION
Having a window into how promotional items are viewed by recipients allows you to better understand their place in your marketing strategy. Just as important is picking the promotional items that make sense for your industry and your target marketing. Is the majority of your target market young, professional men that play golf or exercise regularly – then you may want to have golf shirts, golf towels, light-weight fleece or duffel bags ready to give to new or prospective customers.
Overall promotional products can provide key elements to your marketing strategy and furnish advertisers with high recall, repeated exposure and more favorable impressions for their company.